.  
Dates of visit:
April 29, 2007 &
May 8, 2007

We rate this trip a:

Trip Highlights:
 Revisit friends
 Village Zymna Voda
 L'viv
 Arsenal Museum
 Capital of Kyiv
 Kyiv Churches
 Kyiv Soviet Past
 Walking Kyiv
 Ethnic Dining
 Museums
 

[ Home ] [ Travel Page ]
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Romania
Poland
*** Kyiv (Capital of Ukraine), part 2 ***
*** Kyiv Red Buildings ***
*** Kyiv Dining ***
*** RADA, Palace, Dynamo & Kissing Bridge ***
*** Andrew's Descent ***
        Map of Ukraine
        Travel Route
        Site Gallery - Kyiv's Red Buildings
        Site Gallery - Dining in Kyiv
        RADA, Palace, Dynamo & Kissing Bridge
               Site Gallery - RADA, Palace, Dynamo & Kissing Bridge
        Andrew’s Descent
               Site Gallery - Andrew’s Descent
Site Gallery - Kyiv's Red Buildings
 
  The Red Building  
Built in 1900 by architect Vladinir Nikolayev, the ground floor housed the famous Marquis Café mentioned in Mikhail Bulgarov’s well-known novel The White Guard; it was converted into the Leipzig Restaurant. The color is intense and the condition of the façade is immaculate.
Restaurant Restaurant Restaurant
  Another Red Building  
Just off Khreschatyk Street (Main Street) sits this old building ... with the most intense red facade.
Red Building Red Building Red Building
Red Building Red Building Red Building
Site Gallery - Dining In Kyiv
 
A Restaurant Like No Other
Restaurant Restaurant Restaurant
Restaurant Restaurant Restaurant
Restaurant Restaurant Restaurant
Kyiv Breakfasts
Breakfast Breakfast Breakfast
Breakfast Breakfast Breakfast
Pizza Time in Kyiv
Pizza Time Pizza Time Pizza Time
Pizza Time Pizza Time Pizza Time
RADA, Palace, Dynamo & Kissing Bridge

Mariins’kyi Palace Mariins’kyi Palace ... closed to those not entitled to a special audience with President Yuschenko (2007), this beautiful blue- and cream-colored palace is nevertheless a pleasant place to walk around. Named in honor of Russian Empress Maria, the wife of Tsar Alexander II, the palace was completed in 1755 and excellently combines elements of Ukrainian and Russian Baroque styles.

It’s reminiscent of the Summer Palace in St. Petersburg, and with good reason - they were designed by the same architect, Bartolomeo Rastrelli. The imperial family resided here during their visits to Kyiv, and now meetings with high-ranking foreign diplomats are held in the palace.

Dynamo Stadium Dynamo Stadium ... (near the Mariins'kyi Palace) in the stadium is a monument honoring the life of Valeriy Lobanovs’kyi, Dynamo's famous coach who died in May 2002. Lobanovs’kyi won countless Soviet leagues and cups first as a player and then as coach, not to his mention his team’s two European Cup-Winners Cup triumphs and a string of Ukrainian titles. An even more poignant memorial is the one depicting in stern granite the four Dynamo players who were killed by occupying Nazis during WWII.

Contrary to Soviet myth and many published materials, these players were not shot in their uniforms immediately after defeating a German side in a so-called ‘Death Match’. However, their team Start (consisting of players from Dynamo and other Soviet clubs) did defeat a team of German soldiers called Flakelf in August 1942 - in fact they did it twice in 72 hours by scores of 5-1 and 5-3.

Only weeks later were N. Korotkykh, N. Trusevich, A. Klimenko and I. Kuzmenko arrested. Korotkykh, a NKVD (the precursor to the KGB) agent, was tortured and soon died, while the other three were executed in February 1943 at the Syrets death camp. Regardless, the less-romanticized reality shouldn’t take away from the players’ heroism, embodied when they ignored orders and refused to give a Nazi salute prior to their last game.

Site Gallery - RADA, Palace, Dynamo & Kissing Bridge
 
Mariins'kyi Palace
Mariins'kyi Palace Mariins'kyi Palace Mariins'kyi Palace
Mariins'kyi Palace Mariins'kyi Palace Mariins'kyi Palace
  Ukrainian Upper Rada  
Building of the Upper Rada (Parliament) of Ukraine
(1936-1939)
Upper Rada Upper Rada Upper Rada
Upper Rada Upper Rada Upper Rada
  Kissing Bridge  
The Park Footbridge (1904), commonly referred to as the “Bridge of Lovers” or the “Kissing Bridge”. In a less romantic name, it is called the “Devil’s Bridge”, due to the feeling of fear that immediately arises when one steps on the light bridge over a deep precipice. The many locks are left by lovers who are “together” in love and life.
Kissing Bridge Kissing Bridge Kissing Bridge
Kissing Bridge Kissing Bridge Kissing Bridge
Andrew’s Descent

Andrews Descent Andrew’s Descent ... this is without a doubt one of Kyiv’s oldest and most beloved streets. In ancient times it linked the administrative part of the upper town with Podil, the lower town of merchants and artisans. Its steep and winding cobblestones are a traditional place for outdoor festivals and concerts. Being at the very heart of the city’s art community the street is a favorite stop for tourists in search of paintings and traditional Ukrainian crafts, as well as a repository for all souvenirs tacky and/or Soviet.

Site Gallery - Andrew’s Descent
 
Along Andrews Descent
Andrews Descent Andrews Descent Andrews Descent
Andrews Descent Andrews Descent Andrews Descent
Andrews Descent Andrews Descent Andrews Descent
Andrews Descent Andrews Descent Andrews Descent
Andrews Descent Andrews Descent Andrews Descent
Monument to Characters from film
“Trying to Catch Two Hares” (1999)
Characters Characters Characters
[ Home ] [ Travel Page ]